Sunday, December 7, 2014

What did I learn?

After hearing about the different aspects of the aviation industry from the professionals this semester so of my career goals have indeed been shaken. My original goal was to continue training and achieve my CFI. Then after a few years of teaching, start my own 135 charter operation. I never really wanted to fly for the airlines and that remains intact but the time from CFI to 135 has now drawn some scrutiny.

During the talks, the unusual flight careers really caught my attention. I am a fan of doing those odd jobs and getting the experience from it that very few have. The thought of earning my hours surveying pipelines or barnstorming brings back some of the flair of aviation. It seems like every job is pick up these people or cargo and fly them from here to there at this exact time… repeat until exhausted. I wanted to fly simply for the love of flying. The freedom of flying where I wanted when I wanted is what made my own charter operation so attractive in the first place. I will probably still teach for a good portion of my career but instead of going out to the practice area 8 times a day, I would probably take time for me just to go get a burger. Flying without freedom is no fun at all.


Over the next five years my goals are relatively simple career wise. The two years will be to finish my flight training and find a flight instructor job to start building hours. During this time I also plan to become a member of EAA and fly into Oshkosh. The next three years will be entirely dependent on my military service. If I have some stability, I will set up my own 135 operation within two years and have my own twin engine turbo prop.  If I am constantly moving, I will look into the odd jobs like surveying and flight instruction at the military bases. My end goal have stayed the same, but how I get there is up for grabs.

4 comments:

  1. It’s awesome how you want to stay connected with the love for flying. It reminds me of what Dewey Davenport does. Hopefully you will not end up like the Boeing 747 pilots who can’t remember how to fly a Cessna 172.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very neat that you wish to start your own 135 operation. That is a bold move but could be an extremely rewarding venture. I also am interested in obtaining hours via a different route than flight instruction. Hopefully everything works out for you and I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many interesting paths...I think Dewey was an inspiration in that he was a reminder that you can pursue your flying dreams while still maintaining a passion for flying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of the airlines and cargo, And have fun at Oshkosh it is a blast I just went for my first time this year. good luck starting the part 135 I feel that is a very high goal and all the power to you if you can accomplish it hopefully we will hear about it down the road.

    ReplyDelete